Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Thanksgiving Run

November 27, 2010-- Thanksgiving Day.  I am thankful for a loving and supportive family, great friends, a wonderful job, my beautiful home, and my health.  And today, God gave me one more thing to be thankful for--my age!

As every year passes, I am reminded that I'm not the tight-bodied, smooth-skin, non-graying, limber young lady I used to be.  But today, age was on my side.  I won first place in my age division for the Turkey Trot 5k in Walnut Creek.  My first award for a run!  I never thought that this could ever happen to me...not at this stage of my life.

So take it from me, you can still get better and run faster with age.  I remember running a 5k about 4years ago thinking that there was no way I could possibly run any faster than I did then.  I felt I ran my farthest and fastest I could ever run.  Just when I thought I couldn't possibly PR again, I do.  Of course with age, comes experience.  With experience comes knowledge- the knowledge to train smart and effectively, which leads to faster running.

I guess it helps that the older you get, the less competition there is...or maybe my competition had better things to do on Thanksgiving than run a 5k.  Nevertheless, I really feel that you do get better with age.  It's nice to know that age has no limits; no boundaries.  We can continue to compete if we want to, as long as we have the desire, commitment, and drive.  We can do anything, as long as our bodies are able.

 So keep on running my ageless running friends!
~Running-girl

No comments:

Post a Comment

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...