Pages

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened on My Way to…

I love exploring new places on my runs.  It makes running enjoyable and new again.  On a fourth of July weekend, I traveled 50 miles to visit my in-laws.  It was a weekend I needed to do a 20-mile run.  So, I decided to map out my run in their area—a loop run from their house.  Fortunately, the area where they lived had miles of paved paths for runners and cyclist.  As long as I stayed on a path, I knew I would be fine. 

The weather was cool and the runners were sparse in the early morning, after Independence Day.  My husband and I were having a great run and enjoying the scenery.  The only problem was that we had to slow down to look at our map every time we hit a fork in the road to make sure we were headed in the right direction. 

Seventeen miles into our run, I thought it odd that a golf cart made its way on our narrow path.  The driver gave us a courteous smile as he passed by.  He’s  probably a little embarrassed that he’s on our trail and intruding on our run, I thought.  I looked at my map to verify my route.  Yes, according to my map, we were on track.  Then my husband pointed out a sign in the distance that we hoped would further confirm it.

It read:
Roast Beef Served Ahead

A few feet ahead was another sign:
BBQ Special Served on Weekends

“We’re definitely headed in the right direction!” my husband said with a big grin.  Soon after, a golf ball rolled by.  Turned out, we ended up on a golf course and was headed the towards the clubhouse.  We were definitely off track.  In my defense, the golf cart trail looked exactly like the running paths we've been running for the last 17 miles.

1 comment:

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...