Pages

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Runner's Lingo- Conversations of a Runner



Have you ever dropped in on a conversation and felt as if you were listening to a dialogue of codes?  Well if you are ever in the company of runners, you will inevitably hear what I call, “runner’s lingo.”  Here’s an example:



Jane:  Did Andrew BQ at CAL?

Jack:  No, but he definitely PR’d.  If he BQ’d, it wouldn’t have counted.  He lost his chip at the start and didn’t know it.  He got a DNS.

Jane:  I don’t know what’s worse a DNS or a DNF. 

Jack:  I know.  Well, Andrew’s been doing a lot of cross training, hill repeats, and Fartleks for his training, which is better than the LSD that I do. 

Jane:  LSDs are good in a pack.  I find that running the first half of the race in a pack helps me with my negative splits.  In the second half, I make them road kill.

Jack:  The only time I kick it is when I see the finish line, but that’s only if I don’t bonk before then. 

Jane:  I saw you make a dash for it in the end. But you got chick’d!

Jack:  Don’t remind me-- Nothing like being beat by a girl!

If you understand the dialogue above, then you are a serious runner.  If not, don’t worry.  You are not alone.  I found this great guide to help you out.  Saucony calls it THE LANGUAGE OF RUNNING.  Learning a few terminologies will help get you by so you don’t feel left out of the inner circle.

Whether you are a jogger, a casual runner, or a walker; you, too, can sound like a serious runner!



2 comments:

  1. I laughed my way through this post because I've been involved in this exact type of conversation. Not with all the terms but most of them. Too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi NY girl. Thanks for your comments. I remember my first time running with a group and hearing talks about PR's and Gu. I didn't know what they were talking about. I just nodded pretending I knew. BTW, I like your blog and your healthy recipes. I'm going to have to add you to my blogging community!

    ReplyDelete

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...