Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Running Resolution

The New Year is a time when we think about our resolutions. We always start with good intentions. We make good on our resolutions with determination and enthusiasm. And then we start to lose momentum and eventually quit.

I often tell myself that the word, “resolution,” when broken down, is “re-solution.” The prefix, “re” means to do over. I try not to beat myself up about failing to commit to my resolutions. I pick myself up and get back on track. The only time you fail is when you don’t try.

“The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall.” ~Nelson Mandela

It’s almost a month into the year. Maybe you’ve started running and stopped. Or maybe you’ve thought about it, but haven’t started yet. In the back of your head you’re telling yourself, I’ll pick up running again later. In any case, we think about our plans all the time. We wait for the next time or when the time is right—perhaps next year again. But it’s never the right time to start, is it? The thought about waiting for next year and then next year again, creates a vicious cycle.

Don’t let little set-backs discourage you or let excuses deter you from running. The fact that running is in your mind is a good start. It’s the cycle of trying that is worth acknowledging because I find it good for establishing a routine—a routine that will someday lead to running regularly.

Whenever you are thinking about running, remember this ancient Chinese proverb:

“The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”

So start running today. If you need some inspiration, accountability, or companionship, join a running group. My personal favorites are Team in Training www.tnt.org, the largest endurance training program in the U.S. and the San Francisco Road Runner Club.

~Happy New Year and Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...