Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Mentoring

It’s not uncommon for runners to lose the enthusiasm that once engulfed them when they first started running.  I've been there.  You can read about my dilemma in previous posts:  The Running Blahs, Confessions of a Runner, The Running Routine

So how do we make it exciting again?  You can play running games...with yourself; or you can mentor a new runner.  Here's how:

Go find someone to mentor.  You’ve heard it from family members, co-workers, and friends,

“I wish I could run.”

Take that as an invitation to lend your running experience. Encourage him or her to run and be the mentor you wished you had when you first started.  As a mentor you are there to motivate, inspire, and encourage.  

Discuss goals.  It can be as simple as running a mile without stopping to running their first marathon.  Set up a schedule to run together regularly.  You'll find that the accountability to each other will motivate you to get out and run even when you don't feel like it.  Your role as mentor will give you a new sense of being and give new life to your running.  Try it! 


Take the challenge and I promise you you’ll find your enthusiasm again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...