Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Take a Look

When you're driving and you see a runner, do you turn your head to take a look?  I do.  It's a weird habit of mine.  I can't help but look at every runner I pass by in my car.  What am I looking at?

I look at their gait, their pace, their brand of running shoe, and their accessories.  I like to see whether or not they are wearing their iPhone, iPod, Garmin, water pack, cap or visor.  Sometimes I like to guess if the person is a casual or a competitive runner in training by what they wear and how they run.  It's like browsing through a running magazine, only live!

During the winter months, my running is scarce.  I usually run after work, but now that the sun goes down at 5PM I haven’t been running.  In December, my kids are on vacation and at home with me so I rarely have time to run.  So it is this time that I notice my looks turn into a gaze. 

"I wish that were me running right now," I'd say in admiration as I drive down the highway towing my kids around.  And when I see a runner in the wee hours of the morning or late at night, I shake my head and mutter, "That's dedication."

If you’re like me and have been on a hiatus, don’t fret.  Remind yourself that it is only temporary.  This is a time to refresh, refuel, recover, and re-energize yourself for your next running season.  For now, it’s okay to “look” at what others are doing.  Let them be your source of inspiration.

So if you see a woman in a silver Honda Pilot with boys in the back seat, staring at you, don't be alarmed.  I'm not a stalker.  I'm just a person yearning to be running...instead of driving.  And it could be YOU who inspires me to run with a pink skort.  It could be YOU who inspires me to run barefoot.  It could be YOU who inspires me to start running today!

1 comment:

  1. Just came across this after pep talking myself to put on my running shoes and get out.

    Need to stop comparing form to 2 years ago....just keep runing when I can!

    Thanks for the just keep going even if it is stop-start-stop...

    ReplyDelete

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...