Pages

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crossing the Finish Line

Dedicated to my Team In Training teammates of the Silicon Valley/Monterey Bay Chapter, North/Mid-Peninsula team

 


Most people training for their first marathon are overwhelmed by the 26.2 miles they would have to run.  “I just want to finish,” they’d say.  But crossing the finish line is more than “just finishing.”

 

I remember my first marathon: (The 2006 Honolulu Marathon)

“I was touched by the overwhelming number of supporters who lined the course near the finish line.  The deafening cheers brought a smile to my face.  But later, my lips quivered as my eyes welled up at the realization that I was about to finish my first marathon.”

 

I ran 26.2 miles- the farthest I’ve ran or will ever run in my lifetime.  It was the most surreal experiences of my life; ranking alongside my wedding day and the birth of my sons. 

 

When you approach the finish line, any questions of sanity or physical pain encountered during the 26.2 miles is quickly forgotten in the glory of the moment.  The cheers and applause of the bystanders will make you feel like a rock star.  And that you are because you've also raised money for cancer research- you've helped save a life.  


When you cross the finish line, you become part of an elite group.  You become a marathoner.  That is less than 1% of the population.   Completing a marathon earns you a virtual badge of honor that no one can take away from you.  You gain a confidence that allows you to believe that anything is possible.  The dedication, perserverance, and tenacity that goes into the months of training is worthy of the title, marathoner.

 

I salute all of you for accomplishing the most amazing run of your life.  

“Running is the ultimate individual sport. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are relative to anyone else. You set your own pace and you measure your own progress. You can't lose this race because you're not running against anyone else. You're only running against yourself, and as long as you are running, you are winning.” 
~Amby Burfoot, RW executive editor and winner of the 1968 Boston Marathon

1 comment:

  1. Very well said....I cry everytime I cross the finish line. Nothing compares (at least not yet) to the feelings I feel over this great accomplishment!!! Good Luck to everyone in SD....I will be on the sideline cheering all you on.
    :o) - Dena

    ReplyDelete

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...