Pages

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Running Routine

I sometimes run on a trail called Sawyer Camp. It is a recreational trail with a never-ending path of twists and turns. Every time I approached a turn, I kept thinking that the end of the trail was near. I get excited until I pass the bend and see another turn…and another…and another. Every winding turn looked the same.


Running can be tedious at times. There are a lot of people who don't see the joy in running, but they run anyway. They run because they have to. They know it's good for them. I know this because, I admit, I sometimes feel this way.

When I find myself getting tired and weary, I try to redirect my focus. Instead of dwelling on the repetitiveness of my run, I focus on God's blessings by taking notice of the nature around mefrom the moss covered tress, lush greenery, and blue skies that surround me, to the little creatures like the deer, rabbits, and blue jays that sometimes greet me.

There will always be other runners running the same trail. When a runner passes by, it is common courtesy to acknowledge each other with a smile or a nod. The smile of people passing by, the beauty of nature and the little creatures, is what makes my run enjoyable and worthwhile.

Life is like a running trail. It can be redundant. As the day is ending, another one begins. We feel as if our life is a routine—we wake up, eat, go to work or school, eat again, go to sleep. Everyday is the same. But it doesn’t have to be.

What we fail to do is notice the little things in life. Ironically, the little things are what give life significance. So when we go about our daily lives, and life seems so routine, remember to enjoy the people that make you smile and the conversations that make you laugh. Sometimes if we focus too much on the routines of our life, we rob ourselves of the beauty that is around us. Be thankful for your blessings. Look at life in a new way—with a fresh outlook and a new vision.

Happy Running!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I N S P I R E

Reflections. Insights. Ruminations.  
Running-girl's quest to inspire...