Beautiful scenery, interesting people, and gorgeous weather keep me motivated on my run. But what I really look forward to seeing are the quotes on people's t-shirts. I enjoy reading people's t-shirts as much as I enjoy reading bumper stickers. Reading bumper stickers while sitting in traffic help pass the time. Reading t-shirts while running keeps me entertained.
The words on t-shirts range from inspiring to hilarious. I've compiled a list of my favorite ones to share:
- I belong to a drinking club with a running problem
- Will run for chocolate
- Why are you chasing me?
- Shut up and run!
- Running is 50% physical; 49% mental; 1% insanity
- 39.3 is the new 26.2!
- Mile 20- I thought I was dead; Mile 22- I wished I was dead; Mile 24- I knew I was dead; Mile 26.2- I knew I had become too tough to kill
- Running is cheaper than therapy
- 13.1...I don't go all the way
- Don't follow me...I'm lost
- Running is a mental sport and we're all insane
- The benefit of running every day is that you die healthier
- How's my running? Call 1-800-eat-dust.
- To catch me you gotta be good, to stay with me you gotta be fast, to pass me you gotta be kidding
- Training for a marathon: Kill me now!
- Runners make the best girlfriends...catch me if you can!
- My Indian name: Runs with beer
- Doncha wish your girlfriend could run like me
- It's that damn .2 that really kicks your ass
- My mom ran 26.2 miles. What did your mom do?
- My dad is faster than your dad
- Someday I'll run with mommy (on t-shirt of baby in jogging stroller)
- The journey is more important than the destination
- The woman who starts the race is not the same woman who finishes the race
- Pain is temporary...pride is forever
- "Dead last finish" is greater than "did not finish" which greatly trumps "did not start"
- Live to run...Run to live
- "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me," (Philippians 4:13)
- You thing running a marathon is hard...try chemotherapy!
- I run like a girl, just try to keep up
- You wish you can run like a girl
- I run so I can eat
- Real athletes run, others just play games
- Pain is weakness leaving the body
- A half marathon is just a 5K race with a 10-mile warm-up
- We're not pretty fast. We're pretty and we're fast.
- If you can read this, you've already lost.
- I may be slow but I'm ahead of you.
- Don't hate me because I'm beautiful. Hate me because I'm faster than you.
And the picture below is my personal favorite t-shirt post. It's what my husband wore during the Nike Women's Marathon held on October 18, 2009. For those who don't know, the Nike Marathon is a popular run in S.F. because of the Tiffany Necklace they hand out at the finish. It's presented in a blue box with a white ribbon on a silver platter by tuxedo-clad men. Needless to say, my husband scored lots of points with the thousands of women out there!
So next time you are on a run, be sure to read a few t-shirts to get you motivated or to tickle your fancy. You may even want to sport one yourself for me to read.